Boromir's Shield: Cover
I was able to find some vinyl that exactly matched the leather used for the film shield. I cut off a square piece and then, starting at the center, glued the cover to the outside of the shield.
The cover completely glued down. The vinyl was stretchy enough not to crease or wrinkle.
After the glue had time to set, I used an xacto knife and trimmed off the excess.
For the outside rim triangles, I contact-cemented styrene to the vinyl and then puttied the seam to make it blend into rim.
I re-painted the rim and added the brass rivets to each outside triangle. The boss was then epoxied to the center of the shield.
The final shield. I used a wash of black to weather the shield and sprayed a wash of brown to simulate splattered mud.
Boromir's Shield: Hardware
Since the center handle needed to be strong enough to support the weight of the shield, I used a piece of 1/8" steel.
I cut out sections of the center ring and then cut grooves into the MDF to fit the steel. The ring sections that I cut out were saved to glue back in later.
I used pine scraps to form the handle.
The finished handle was painted with a glossy black and the exposed steel was painted with brass (color) enamel paint.
The handle was secured with brass screw posts that went through the entire shield.
The ring sections were glued back into place and them puttied.
The outer sling hardware was made from a 3/16" threaded rod. I removed the threads from the center with a bench grinder.
The threaded ends were inserted through the shield, cut flush and then bolted.
The bolts on the inside were countersunk and then puttied over.
Each of the rim "triangles" have three brass rivets. I used brass plated nails and trimmed off the heads to use as the rivets. I drilled a shallow hole and then epoxied them in.
For the inner strap bracket, I bought a 35¢ galvanized steel joist hanger and pounded it flat.
I trimmed out the shape and bent up the end.
The bracket was attached with three screw posts, drilled through the body of the shield. The heads were a bit big so I ground 1/32" off the diameter.