Super Smash Bros. Brawl: Ragnell Sword 2
I received a commission to build another Ragnell sword and decided to make some changes from the previous build
. If I don't mention it, I used the same technique as before.
In order to keep the grip as one piece, I glued and bolted together two pieces of basswood after precutting the channel for the steel rod down the center of each side.
I made a template of the curve on the bottom hand grip and drew lines for the fluting.
I carved out the grip flutes with blade, chisel and files.
The blade cap was made with pieces of 1/4" poplar glued together instead of MDF. I shaped it on the belt sander
After all the shaping was done, I filled holes and seams with Bondo.
To get a tight joint, I covered the blade with plastic wrap and filled the gap with Bondo, squishing out any excess.
Instead of using plastic for the trim, I used epoxy putty, sculpting and sanding it to shape.
I used silver and black metallic Rustoleum paint on the grip.
The final sword
Grip detail. I drybrushed some silver on the crossguard to bring out detail and tie the whole sword together.
This is how it was shipped. The client could glue it together upon receipt, although the fit was pretty snug.