PPSh-41: Final Photos
The last thing to do was to stain and shellac the stock. Here are the final photos of this exhausting project!
This gun can be disassembled just like the real one...nothing is glued that shouldn't be. Eventually I will buy brass for the magazine and cast plastic bullets to fill the magazine.
Total build time: 120 Hours
Total Cost: $86
Total Weight: 2.25 lbs
PPSh-41: Gun Stock
I originally intended to make the stock out of brich like the real gun, but pine proved to be more economical
Since I intended to router out the butt compartment and the slot for the receiver in front, I made the stock from two pieces of 3/4" pine, later to be glued together.
To paraphrase Donald Rumsfeld, there's the prop you intend to build and the prop you end up building. Even though I built everything to spec, because of my materials the receiver had to be thicker walled. In other words, the receiver wouldn't fit! I used some 1/8" basswood to widen the receiver opening and then laminated all the parts together.
Then, with the assistance of my trusty wood plane, I carved the rough shape of the stock's contours.
The stock after sanding.
I had to dremel out a notch above and below the grip to mount the receiver and trigger assembly.
The left side of the stock houses the rear sling bracket. I dremeled out this area to match a styrene bracket I had cut.
I inset the butt of the stock to accept the butt plate. I used the stock to heat form the sides of the butt plate out of styrene.
I used a loop of wire to join the ends of the styrene in place while the glue dried and glued the end of the butt plate to the sides.
The edges were sanded off and smoothed and the screw holes were beveled.
I glued in a small lip on the iside of the hatch and used a nail as a pin for the hinge.
With no reference for the INSIDE of the butt plate, I used a piece of steel as a spring to keep the door under tension.