Boromir's Shield: Hardware
Since the center handle needed to be strong enough to support the weight of the shield, I used a piece of 1/8" steel.
I cut out sections of the center ring and then cut grooves into the MDF to fit the steel. The ring sections that I cut out were saved to glue back in later.
I used pine scraps to form the handle.
The finished handle was painted with a glossy black and the exposed steel was painted with brass (color) enamel paint.
The handle was secured with brass screw posts that went through the entire shield.
The ring sections were glued back into place and them puttied.
The outer sling hardware was made from a 3/16" threaded rod. I removed the threads from the center with a bench grinder.
The threaded ends were inserted through the shield, cut flush and then bolted.
The bolts on the inside were countersunk and then puttied over.
Each of the rim "triangles" have three brass rivets. I used brass plated nails and trimmed off the heads to use as the rivets. I drilled a shallow hole and then epoxied them in.
For the inner strap bracket, I bought a 35¢ galvanized steel joist hanger and pounded it flat.
I trimmed out the shape and bent up the end.
The bracket was attached with three screw posts, drilled through the body of the shield. The heads were a bit big so I ground 1/32" off the diameter.